Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Gaming in a Library??

You know you are old when you read about how libraries are incorporating gaming as a part of regular services. What??? Are there sound proof rooms? My image of gaming has a lot of noise going on. The library is still a quiet place isn't it? Has this changed as well? I guess I can see some positives; it is a safe place for kids to hang out, it is fun, it could be a social activity. Is it though, a bribe to get kids back into the library?? Are we really that desperate?

I do agree that the libraries need serious make overs. I would love to see librarians more active, i.e. not just sitting behind the never-ending-stacks-of-books-desk. I like reading about producing podcasts and having them available on the libraries website. I think that is a fantastic way of connecting the community. And, it is a way to get kids out of the house, and moving away from their own computer. This way, they actually have to physically talk to other people. Is there a way we can get them to run to the library now for a workout?

3 comments:

Richard Robertson said...

I am right there with you as far as being surprised with gaming at the library. However, you bring up the point that maybe bribery is what it has come to in order to get kids into that environment. I guess the method may not be as important as the end result which would be kids spending more time in what as you describe "a safe environment. Good luck with the class.

APETeach said...

I thought the gaming in the library was intriguing as well, my question is do they encourage whole-body gaming, Wii and DDR in the library. I can see it now, a blog advertising a Wii bowling tournament in the library. Interesting concepts.

I also believe that libraries need to be more active/interactive to entice the kids of today. They are so tuned into computers and technology - why not ask them what they want/need in the library.

TWright 710 said...

Gaming in a library??? Really? That's what first came to my mind. Although I have to agree with you that it is a pretty desperate attempt, but I do think it could work. If this could spark some type of 'library-revival' with teenagers then it could very well be worth it.