Thursday, May 15, 2008

Emerging Technologies

Emerging Technologies Changing Public Library Service Delivery Models. Kajewski, Mary Ann. September 2006

In my second article I am reviewing, I find it fascinating to learn about all these different models libraries are using now. I finally learned what RSS means!! I see this all the time at the bottom of some websites, and never knew what it meant. Really Simple Syndication. How genius. I think it is great that RSS is being Incorporated into library catalogs and journal databases. This way it will inform students of new purchases and publications. I believe this is a wonderful idea.

What about wiki's? Ok, so the word comes from the Hawaiian language. I obviously love that, but I am sometimes a little skeptical about my students using wikipedia for example. I do not think most students know that anyone can write and update anything on the website. It took me months to even figure this out. However, I do think LISWiki is a great tool for the librarians themselves. It opens there resources and can link to other libraries too.

Finally, the end of the article states how important it is to have the staff buy in. It is not expensive and they all need to adapt to these new services.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that being able to update library databases and journals with RSS is a really good a idea and it seems most can do it with relative ease. Yet, with that we do have to do some education of the students about primary sources and reliable sites were they can get information about school assignments. I am looking at some of our district sites in my district to see if any are RSS sites.

AS EYE C IT said...

I laughed when I read that you finally found out what RSS means because I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the article. It was kind of like a light bulb moment.

Mary@slq said...

Pleased to see that you enjoyed my article and were able to understand RSS feeds :).