Saturday, May 17, 2008

"Always on"

Neomillennial User Experience Design Strategies: Utilizing social networking media to support "Always On" Learning Styles. (Baird, Fisher 2005)

Weblogs, ipods, flicker, oh my.

I really enjoyed reading this article, as it focused more on the philosophy and theory of all these new crazy technology learning tools we have now. Apparently anyone born after 1982 has new ways of understanding, learning, and processing new information. (Baird) What does this mean now? It means us teachers have a lot of catching up to do. There will be new courses and new social networking (which is now so addicting thanks to my new facebook account).

What I am afraid of is a lot of teachers refusing to change and learn all this new technology. In this sense, it is both the student and teacher who will be at loss. I have had many different reactions from my fellow teachers when I tell them I am getting my Master's degree all online. Some of them think I am crazy, but I really believe this is the new wave of the future, and we as students are always on, checking our new assignments, learning from others with sometimes the blind leading the blind, gaining a new perspective on educating. I am excited to try flickr with Blinklist as I can see myself using it as part of some lessons for my students.

Just as the article states, "we are creating an online community that is able to draw from multiple social resources to meet the learner's intrinsic needs, while still providing opportunities to participate with their peers in a collaborative, social exchange of information."(Baird 2005) So now I am beginning to understand why we just signed up for six different programs in the past two weeks. It is starting to come together.

3 comments:

Agee54 said...

I think teachers should have an open mind to new advances in technology. Especially if technology is how our students connect toeach other.

Valentina Haggard said...

I agree with what you said about that teachers need to learn how to adapt to the new advances of technology and in this case if students are on bored and the teacher is not, there will be mnay difficulties within the classroom. But, if a teacher is on board and ready and willing to learn with the kids there will be a connection between the teacher and student that would be unbreakable. I was weary about taking online courses because in the past when I took online classes I felt that I didn't learn a thing. The interesting thing about this course is that you couldn't do this course in a classroom, it is a perfect course to have all online. In time, I will become more comfertable with the idea of an online master's program. But, I have to say that it is very important to still have that social interaction with individuals to promote learning.

Mr. Holland PE said...

I think schools often hold back further learning for teachers. At my school you can't go on any blogs or social networking sites. Teachers do need to push and show that there are safe and educational ways to use those types of sites.